I`ve been having a great time in Guadalajara since I got back. Not being surrounded by english-speaking friends has made my life a little more lonely, but I`ve been exploring dimensions of the city, and myself , that I didn`t get to before.
I`m starting to dig those uncomfortable moments when you realize that you`re outside your familiar social scene, and you`re suddenly a little self-conscious. Temoc and Joris (our new roommate) have been taking me to their friend`s parties, so I`ve had a lot of these moments recently!
I`m definitely speaking more Spanish, which feels fantastic. I`m really beginning to love forming the words and trying to mimic the accent of the people around me…hopefully they don`t mind (probably they don`t notice). Feeling way more confident with the language, and just more socially confident in general. Anyways, here are some firsts from the last few weeks:
– My first tag (i.e. graffiti for less anarchistically-inclined readers)…a stencil I mostly filched from Banksy (but traced and cut on my own), with the exception of one small detail. Here`s the original for comparison:
– first time in a mexican karoake bar (also, first time singing on stage with the birthday girl wearing a giant sombrero at a very big birthday party in a mexican karoake bar)
– first trip to a mexican dentist
– gave my first english lesson to my first student (who also happens to be my dentist, see above)
– first time eating carne en su jugo (meat in it`s own juice) at the fastest restaurant in the world
– first time shopping at a place that sells fresh octopus by the kilo (“mercado abastos“ a smelly, dark, wonderful market with vendors selling a billion kinds of meat, cheese, bread, seafood, whole-bean coffee, and some fruits and veg i`ve never seen before). More on that in a subsequent post.
– first time at a traditional mexican balneario, a hot-spring fed public bath full of proudly-rotund mexican grandpas steaming themselves like white-haired dumplings in the temazcal (cave-like sauna filled with steam from really, really, hot springs burbling around underneath), among other interesting sights.
-first time eating cheese-flavored ice cream